College & University Pressroom, VICTORVILLE, USA: Victor Valley College and SolFocus held a grand opening ceremony for the largest solar power plant in North America using concentrator photovoltaic (CPV) systems. After two months of construction, the one megawatt solar power plant is now providing clean power to Victor Valley College in Victorville, California.
Solar power plant
* The Victor Valley College solar micro-generating facility is now connected to the regional electrical grid operated by Southern California Edison and will produce approximately 2.6 million kilowatt-hours annually, which is roughly 30 percent of the College’s electricity demand.
* Construction of the six acre plant was completed in two months.
* The plant is located on the college’s main campus and consists of 122 SolFocus SF-1100S CPV arrays.
Green jobs training
* The college will be developing curriculum within its existing academic and technical programs around this innovative solar technology, including installation, operations, and maintenance.
* SolFocus will be supporting the college in its curriculum development around advanced solar energy technology including materials, training, and instruction.